The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. It is a punishable offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, to apply for an Indian passport, continue to hold an Indian passport, get an Indian passport re-issued or travel on an Indian passport after acquiring foreign citizenship. Extant rules prescribe penalties for holding Indian passports by foreign nationals.
Under Indian law, Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs), who have acquired foreign citizenship are required to surrender their Indian passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign citizenship.
The salient features of the scheme are listed below:
Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship must formally renounce/surrender their Indian citizenship. This can be done by surrendering Indian passports for cancellation. The Indian passport would be cancelled and returned to the passport holder along with the requisite certificate for future reference.
Persons of Indian Origins who had earlier obtained OCI / PIO Cards or Visa without surrendering their Indian passports are required to surrender their last held Indian passport and obtain surrender certificates at the time of renewing their OCI / PIO Cards or for obtaining fresh visa.
Production of Surrender Certificate endorsement is essential while applying for Indian visa, PIO/OCI card or any other miscellaneous consular services.
- Surrender Certificate cannot be issued if the last held Indian passport is not physically produced.
- Penalty, if applicable, cannot be waived or reduced.
- There is no penalty in cases where the PIO opted for foreign nationality before 1.1.2005 and the last held Indian passport also expired before that date.
|SERVICE||FEES IN CAD$|
|Surrender Fee||Consular Fee||BLS Service Fee||Total Fee|
|Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship before 31 May, 2010||31||3||7.4||41.40|
|Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship after 1 June, 2010||119||3||7.4||129.40|
Please note that the fees / processing charge is non-refundable and non-transferable
Mode of payment:
- In Person:
Payment can be made by using the below mention modes only:
- Debit Card
- Cash (Applicant's are requested to get exact cash as per number of applications)
- Postal Applications:
- Kindly Provide Demand Draft/Money order only in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc., which includes Passport fee + consular fee + BLS Service charges + Return courier fees, to send back your processed application.
- Return courier fees to be added in Demand Draft only if you have not paid online
- Kindly do not enclose any cash in your postal application envelope. BLS will not be responsible for the loss of cash or the postal orders.
Please note that postal applications will not be processed until the correct fee+ consular surcharge fee, service charge and courier is paid. Personal cheques are not acceptable
Note: "We are not providing any pickup and drop off service for PO box address. Applicant has to arrange his/her own pickup and need to provide self addressed printed prepaid return envelope. Also, we do not guarantee for the delivery at PO box address".
Click below mention link to download checklist
Please be advised that the estimated processing times are mentioned below. However, how long an application will take to process is also dependent on the following factors such as the city the application was submitted in, in which city or country was the previous / old passport issued, your current visa status and etc.
Please keep in mind that incomplete applications will lead to a delay in the processing of an application, and all applicant(s) are requested to comply with any changes that may occur during this time. You are requested to make your travel arrangements only after receiving relevant service.
|Minimum Processing Time is 3-4 weeks|
Note: Applications sent by post will take additional 3-4 working days for processing.
- Processing time mentioned above is an approximate estimate from HCI / CGI. Therefore, BLS International has no influence on the processing time taking when under process at HCI / CGI
- BLS International cannot guaranty the processing time that will be taken after normal processing time due to subject to clearance reason. Contact HCI / CGI procedure: Only after normal processing time has exceeded, applicant can contact the nearest Indian Mission via email for information beyond BLS International Service conditions
- The estimated processing time mentioned below does not include the time that the courier company will take to deliver the passport.
- BLS/HCI/CGI will not be liable for any claims of inconvenience or penalties should applicant need to make changes to their travel plans owing to the delays and/or any inconvenience caused due to any rejections